Saturday, October 21, 2006

Grilled fillet steak with the creamiest white beans and leeks

I never, ever buy fillet steak. Partly because it is expensive, partly because I accept the received wisdom that rump, although tougher, is tastier - Jamie himself recommends rump over fillet in one episode of The Naked Chef. I bought fillet today in order to make this recipe, because I had leeks and creme fraiche waiting to be used, and because it sounded like the right sort of indulgent Saturday night fare. This dish is simple: fillet steak, seasoned, patted with olive oil, and griddled until medium-rare, then sliced. Served with creamy white beans and leaks: I sweated leeks, garlic and thyme, in a little butter and olive oil until soft, added white wine and butter beans; simmered briefly; added a little creme fraiche, parsley and olive oil.

The steak was meltingly tender - beautifully medium-rare - and so soft that the knife slid through it like butter. The butter beans and the leeks were soft and creamy and complemented the fillet steak beautifully. Mmm. I made a green salad with lemony dressing which we ate after the steak and beans, which was also delicious.

This dinner was another grade A dinner, and best of all, it was incredibly easy. I think I could get used to fillet steak dinners...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steak on a saturday night!!!!

MenuMate said...

I tried this dish the other night after getting "Cook with Jamie" for Christmas. My wife described the meal as "the best this year", which given our passion for food as a real compliment.